看电影学英语 Legend of 1900 《海上钢琴师》
-Max: “I still ask myself if I did the right thing
我还在问自己是否做的对,
when I abandoned his floating city. And I don't mean only for the work. Fact is,
abandon: 放弃,遗弃 floating: 漂流的;浮动的
当我离开了他漂泊的城市,我指的不仅是工作,事实是
a friend like that, a real friend, you won't meet one again.
那样才是真正的朋友,你再也不会见到他这样的人。
If you just decide to hang up your sea legs,
hang up: [常用被动语态]中止,搁置
如果你不想出海,
if you just want to feel something more solid beneath your feet,
solid: 固体的,结实的 beneath: 在…之下
如果你只想站在陆地上,
and if then you no loner hear the music of the gods around you. But like he used to say…
no longer: 不再
如果你不再想听见天籁之音,但是像他常说过的一样…
You're never really done for as long as you got a good story and someone to tell it to.
done for: 完蛋的,破灭的 as long as: 只要
只要你有个好故事,你就永远不会被人忘记,一个值得告诉别人的故事,
Trouble is nobody believe a single word of my story. It happened every time someone would look up and see her
look up: 抬头看
可问题是没人相信我的故事。每次都是这样,某人一抬头就看到她。
It's difficult to understand there would be more than a thousand of us on that ship,
很难理解,那船上有上千人,
Traveling rich folks, immigrants and strange people, and us
immigrant: 移民
有富人,移民,陌生人和我们。
Yet there was always one guy alone who would see her first.
但是总会有一个人一眼就看到她的单身汉。
Maybe he was just sitting there, eating or walking on the deck.
deck: 甲板
或许他只是坐在那吃东西或是在甲板上散步,
Maybe he was just fixing his pants. He'd look up for a second,
fix: 修理 pants: 裤子
或许他正在缝补裤子。他抬起头,
a quick glance out to sea and he'd see her.
glance: 一瞥
很快地向海上望去,便看到了她。
Then he'd just stand there rooted to the spot, his heart racing.
root: 生根,扎根 spot:: 地点 race: 疾行【这里指心脏快速跳动】
他的脚像生了根,心也悸动不安。
And every time every damn time, I swear he'd turn to us, towards the ship towards everybody and scream.”
damn: 该死的【表强调】 swear: 发誓 scream: 大喊
每次,每一次,我发誓,他转向我冲着船朝着每个人大喊…
-Man: America!
-Max: New York, The one who sees America first .There's one on every ship.
纽约,先看到美国的人每个船上都有一个。
And don't be thinking it's an accident or some optical illusion, it's destiny.
accident: 意外的事 optical: 视觉的 illusion: 幻觉 destiny: 命运 
不要以为这是偶然,或是视觉幻想,那是命运。
Those are people who always have that precise instant stamped on their life.
precise: 精确的,准确的 instant: 瞬间 stamp: 使被铭记
这些人他们的生命中总是有准确的被打上烙印的时刻。
And when they were kids you could look into their eyes and if you looked carefully enough you'd already see her-America.
当他们是孩子的时候你看他们眼睛,如果你仔细观察你就会看到她—美国。
And I've seen a few Americans. Six years on that ship five crossings a year.
crossing: 横渡
我没见过多少美国人,呆在那船上六年,一年横跨五次欧洲和美国。
When you stepped on land you couldn't even piss straight in the john.
step on: 踩,踏 piss: 撒尿 straight: 笔直地 john: 厕所
当你踏上大陆,你在上厕所的时候都会感觉晃。
It was steady. The john, I mean. But you'd keep bobbing like an idiot.
steady: 固定的 bob: 上下跳动 idiot: 白痴
我的意思是,厕所是不动的,你却像个白痴一样不停的晃。
You can get off a ship all right but off the ocean”
get off: 从…上下来 but: 除…以外
你可以安然无恙的离开船,但是却不可能离开大海。
-Pops: I was just closing. What can I do for you?
马上要关门了。需要点什么?
-Max: [when I boarded, I was 24 years old and I only cared about one thing in life-playing the trumpet.] I'm selling it.
board: 登(飞机,车,船) care about: 关心 trumpet: 小号
当我登上这船的时候才24岁,一生中我只在乎一件事,演奏小号。我要卖这个。
-Pops: Conn, not bad.
康恩,不错。
-Max: Best brass money can buy.
brass: 黄铜,铜管(乐器)
黄铜是最好的。
发誓的英文
-Pops: Six pounds, ten shillings. Best I can do
pound: 英镑 shilling: 先令,面值5便士的硬币
最高出六磅七先令。
-Max: That horn's my whole life, mister. Even being nobody has got to be worth more than twenty lousy bucks
horn: 喇叭 mister: 先生 lousy: [美国俚语]低贱的 buck: 钱
先生,这是我的全部。即使我不是什么名人,至少也值20美元。
-Pops: It… that's how things are, I suppose it's barely worth half a crown. Shut the door when you leave please
suppose: 认为 barely: 几乎不 crown: (英国旧币制的)五先令硬币
事情就是这样,我认为连二先令都不值。走后请关门。
-Max: Okay, pops you win. You just bought yourself a piece of musical history
好吧,老爹,你赢了。你刚买了一部分音乐史。
-Pops: Now if you want my advice. Go out, treat yourself to a decent meal
advice: 建议 decent: 得体的,相当好的
如果你想要我的建议去吃顿好的。
-Max: At least let me play it one last time
至少让我在吹一次。
-Pops: Young man I don't have time to waste. All right. Hurry up, then. I'm closing
waste: 浪费 hurry up: 赶快
我没有时
间。好吧,那就快点。要关门了。
-Max: Thank you
谢谢!
-Pops: Two peas in a pod, wouldn't you say? It's the music you were just playing. What is it?
pea: 豌豆 pod: 豆荚 two peas in a pod: 一模一样【这里指胶片上的钢琴声跟铜管生配合起来是完美的乐章,如同一颗豆芽上的双生豆瓣是天作之合】
这样才完美,你说呢?这是你刚才吹的那段音乐,叫什么?
-Max: It doesn't have a name. Just a handful of people have had the privilege of hearing it
a handful of: 少量的 privilege: 特权
没有名字,只有少数人听过。
-Pops: That style. I was wondering since this morning, I can't work out who this amazing piano player is.
wonder: 想知道 work out: 到…的答案,知道 amazing: 令人惊奇的
这种曲风,今天早上我就在想。我不认识这个出神入化的钢琴师。
-Max: I don't think you ever heard of him
我想你从来没听说过他。
-Pops: Who is he?
他是谁?
-Max: If I told you this pianist never existed. I wouldn't be lying
pianist: 钢琴师
如果我告诉你这个钢琴师从来不存在,我没说谎。
-Pops: I don't like secrets. Come on now, Yank. Who the devil is playing?
Yank: 美国人 the devil: 究竟,到底
我不喜欢秘密。快点,美国佬,这人是谁?
-Max: That's my secret. It was the first year of this frigging century as defined by an unknown colored coal stoker on the Virginian
frigging: 受诅咒的,可恨的 colored: 有的 coal: 煤炭 stoker: 锅炉工
那是我的秘密。那是这个该死的世纪的第一年,被一个弗吉尼亚不知名的黑人煤矿工命名的。
-Danny: Fucking rich-ass bastards can’t lose nothing but cigarette butts and dirty-ass handkerchiefs.
fucking: 他妈的(粗鄙语) -ass: 表示“十分,透顶”的意思【rich-ass和dirty-ass分别是及其有钱、脏极了的意思】  bastard: [美国俚语、口语]混蛋 cigarette: 香烟 butt: 烟头 handkerchief: 手帕
该死的有钱人,什么都没留下,除了烟头和脏兮兮的手帕。
Can't lose no watch not even a beat-up Elgin or a sorry-ass cufflink
not even: 甚至 beat-up: 破旧的 Elgin: 大理石雕 sorry-ass: 【sorry是破破烂烂的意思,与-ass连用就是十分破旧的意思】 cufflink: 男子衬衫袖的链扣
就不能丢块手表或是旧的大理石或手链。
What am I talking about? Not even a fake fucking ring. Look here. A whole cigar.
fake: 假的
我在说什么,连假戒指都没有。看看这,一根烟。
Must have been somebody poor at the party. Look at this shit. Nasty fucker.
nasty: 污秽的,下流的  fucker: 傻瓜,笨蛋
一定是某个可怜人的。看看这垃圾,肮脏的白痴。
Damn rich. Don't forget nothing unless they owe you some money.
owe: 欠
该死的有钱人,除非他们欠你钱,否则不会给你留下什么。
What in the scuts you doing here? T.D. Lemons.
Howdy do there, Lemon.
scut: [美国口语] 单调粗鄙的话语  howdy: 您好(招呼用语,方言)
你这小家伙在这干嘛,T.D. Lemon。你好,Lemon。
-Coal Stoker A: Immigrant bastard. You said it that's the way the immigrants do it
移民的混蛋。你说对了,这就是移民应该做的。
-Coal Stoker B: Have a baby on the ship and then leave on board another mouth to feed.
feed: 喂养 on board: 在船上
生了个婴儿在船上,留下了一个活口需要喂养。
-Coal Stoker C: And, like that, avoid trouble with the immigration office.
avoid: 避免 immigration office: 移民局
这样可以避免移民局麻烦。
-
Coal Stoker D: What's a boy like him going to be when he grows up?
这样的孩子长大了会干什么。
-Coal Stoker E: Another immigrant.
成为另一个移民。
-Danny: Don't pay those bastards no mind Lemon. Go on, lap it up, boy.
pay no mind: 不理会 lap up: 舔舐(流质食品)
不用理这些混蛋,Lemon。来吧!喝吧!
-Coal Stoker A: This one they left in first class on top the piano.
first class: 头等舱
这个孩子被遗弃在头等舱的钢琴上。
-Coal Stoker B: They are hoping some rich guy will come and stick a silver spoon in his mouth.
stick: 插 spoon: 勺子【a silver spoon常常用来形容生在富贵之家,常用的形式是born with a silver spoon】
他们希望有钱人能来给他喂个金勺子,
And who does the little ape get instead? A poor coal stoker.
ape: 大猩猩【这里指代小孩】 instead: 却
然而谁捡到了这个孩子呢?一个穷煤矿工。
-Coal Stoker C: Someone is taking you for a sucker, Danny
take …for…: 把…当作… sucker: 吸管【这里指代喂奶的人也就是奶妈】
有人把你当奶妈了,Danny。
-Coal Stoker D: They have the fun. You have the misery.
fun: 乐趣 misery: 痛苦
他们快乐了,你却痛苦了。
-Danny: Fuck poverty. You stinking sewer rats. T.D. was written on that box. Any of you shitheads know what that means?
poverty: 贫穷 stinking: [俚语]令人讨厌的 sewer: 下水道 rat: 鼠 shitheads: [粗]白痴,笨蛋
该死的穷人,你们这些讨厌的褐家鼠。T.D 写在那个盒子上,你们这帮白痴知道那是什么意思嘛?
I forgot. You all can't read. It means, "Thanks, Danny." "Thanks, Danny"
我忘了,你们都不识字。意思就是:“谢谢Danny,谢谢Danny。”
They left him for me and I'm gonna keep him. Rest of you all can go fuck yourselves
keep: 照顾,养活
他们是给我留着的,我要把他养大。你们吧!
-Coal Stoker E: Danny, what are you going to call the nino?
Danny,你打算给他叫他什么?
-Danny: Hell, I ain't thinking about that. To start off I'm going to name him after me. Danny Boodman.
ain’t: [口]=am not/ are not/ is not/have not/has not start off: 开始
该死,我没想到这个。我打算以我的名字命名,Danny Boodman。
Then I'll p
ut "T.D." in the middle as rich folks put that in the middle, don't you think?
folk: 人们
T.D.是中间名,就像富人放在中间一样,你们说呢?
That give it class, to put that in the middle, don't you think?
class: 社会地位
把名字放在中间他就是个富人了,你们觉的怎么样?
-Coal Stoker C: All fucking lawyers got initials in the middle of their names.
lawyer: 律师 initial: 大写首字母
所有的律师都有中间名字。
-Coal Stoker D: Well, my lawyer was Jonathan PTK Wonder
我的律师叫Jonathan PTK Wonder。
-Danny: My son grows up to be a lawyer I swear I'll kill him myself. But the boy's name is still going to be Danny Boodman T.D. Lemon.
swear: 发誓
如果我的孩子长大了是个律师我发誓我会亲手杀了他,但是孩子的名字还是会叫Danny Boodman T.D·Lemon。
-Coal Stoker B: He ain't the son of no fucking duke, Danny. You found him on a Tuesday ,call him "Tuesday".
他不是没爹的孩子,Danny,你在星期二发现他的就应该叫他星期二。
-Danny: You ain't as dumb as you look, colored boy. I found him the first month of the first year of this frigging new century.
dumb: [美国口语]愚蠢的 frigging: (加强语气用的)该死的,他妈的
你不像看起来那么笨。我在这个该死的新世纪的第一年第一个月里发现了他,
So I call him Nineteen Hundred
所以我叫他1900。
-Coal Stoker B: Nineteen Hundred? But that's a number
1900? 但那是个数字。
-Danny: It was a number, now it's a name. Danny Boodman T.D. Lemon Nineteen Hundred
曾经是数字,但现在是个名字。Danny Boodman T.D·Lemon 1900。
-Coal Stoker B: Danny, your little bambino is not so happy. Come on, hurry. Hurry up Don't worry, your mama's here.
bambino: [意大利语]小孩 hurry up: 赶紧
Danny,你的婴儿不高兴了。快点,快点,别怕,你妈妈来了。
-Danny: Damn. How can something that small shit so much?
shit: 拉屎
该死,这么个小东西怎么拉这么多。
-Max: “And that's how little Nineteen Hundred grew up inside that cradle as big as a ship.
cradle: 摇篮
这就是1900怎么样长大的,在一个像船一样大的摇篮里,
But since Danny was afraid they'd take him away on account of some business concerning documents and visas.
since: 因为 on account of: 由于 concerning: 关于 document: 文件 visa: (护照等上的)签证
但Danny怕他们由于一些商业文件和签证就把他带走,
The boy lived his early years always hiding in the belly of the Virginian.”
belly:(物体的)内部
因此他童年时总是躲在弗吉尼亚号船舱里。
-Danny: Okay, now try one for yourself. Put your finger up here against these words so the letters can't run off on you
finger: 手指  against: 碰着 run off: 跑掉,流掉
好,现在你自已试试,用你的手指头按着这些文字,这样字母就不会跑掉。
-1900: Man
人。
-Danny