Bonasera: I believe in America. America has made my fortune. And I raised my daughter in the American fashion. I gave her freedom. But I taught her never to dishonour her family. She found a boyfriend, not an Italian. She went to the movies with him. She stayed out late. I didn’t protest. Two months ago he took her for a drive with another boyfriend. They made her drink whiskey, and then they tried take advantage of her. She resisted, she kept her honour. So they beat her like an animal. When I went to the hospital, her nose was broken. Her jaw was shattered, held together by wire. She couldn’t even weep, because of the pain. But I wept. Why did I weep? She was the light of my life. Beautiful girl. Now she will never be beautiful again. Sorry. I went to the police, like a good American. These two boys were brought for trial. The judge sentenced them to three years in prison, but suspended the sentence. Suspended the sentence! They went free that very day! I stood in the courtroom like a fool. Those two bastards, they smiled at me. Then I said to my wife, “For justice, we must go to Don Corleone.”
我相信美国。美国使我发了财。而我以美国方式教养我的女儿。我给她自由。但也告诉她永远不要有辱家门。她交了位男友但不是意大利人。她跟他去看电影,深夜才回家。我并没有
责骂她。两个月前他与另一个男孩,带她去兜风。他们强灌她喝威士忌,然后他们想要占她便宜。她抵抗,她保住了名节。于是他们像对动物般的毒打她。当我到医院时,她的鼻梁断了,她的下马被打碎了,必须用钢丝绑着才不会掉下来。她痛得不能哭。但我却哭了,我为什么哭呢?我视她如珠如宝。长得很美丽。现在她再也美丽不起来。不好意思。我…像个守法的美国人一样。那两个男孩受到了审判。法官判他们的有期徒刑三年,但缓刑。缓刑!他们当天就没事了!我像个傻瓜似的站在法庭中。而那两个混蛋竟朝着我笑。于是我对我太太说,“为求公道,我们必须去柯里昂阁下。”
Vito Corleone: Why did you go to the police? Why didn’t you come to first?
你去报警前为何不先来我?
Bonasera: What do you want of me? Tell me anything, but do what I beg you to do.
你要我怎么样?你尽管吩咐,但求你一定要帮我这个忙。 发誓的英文
Vito Corleone: What is that? 帮你什么忙?
Bonasera: I want them dead. 我要他们死。
Vito Corleone: That I cannot do. 那个我办不到。
Bonasera: I’ll give you anything you ask. 你要什么,我都会给你。
Vito Corleone: I’ve known you many years, but this is the first time you’ve asked me for help. I can’t remember the last time you invited me for a cup of coffee. Even though my wife is godmother to your only child. But let’s be frank here. You never wanted my friendship. And you were afraid to be in my debt.
我们相识多年,这是你第一次来我帮忙。我记不起你上次是何时请我到你家去喝咖啡了。何况我太太还是你独生女的教母。我坦白说吧!你从来就不想要我的友谊。而且你怕欠我人情。
Bonasera: I didn’t want to get into trouble. 我不想卷入是非。
Vito Corleone: I understand. You found Paradise in America. Had a good trade, made a good living, had police protection and there were courts of law. You didn’t need a friend like me. But now you come to me and say, “Don Corleone, give me justice.” But you don’t
ask with respect. You don’t offer friendship. You even don’t think to call me Godfather. You come on my daughter’s wedding day and ask me to murder for money.
我了解。你在美国发了财。生意做得很好,生活过得很好,有警察和法律保护你。你不需要我这种朋友。但是…现在你来我说:“柯里昂阁下,请帮我主持公道。”但你对我一点尊重也没有。你并不把我当朋友。你甚至不愿意喊我教父。你在我女儿结婚当天来我家,用钱收买我为你杀人。
Bonasera: I ask you for justice. 我只是要求你主持公道。
Vito Corleone: That is not justice. Your daughter is alive. 那不是公道,你女儿还活着。
Bonasera: Let them suffer, then, as she suffers. How much should I pay you?
那么让他们像她一样受折磨。我应该付你多少钱?
Vito Corleone: Bonasera, Bonasera. What I have done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? If you’d come in friendship, the scum ruined your daughter would be suffe
ring this very day. And if an honest man like you should make enemies, they’d be my enemies. And then they would fear you.
包纳萨拉,包纳萨拉。我到底做了什么让你这么不尊重我?如果你以朋友身份来我,那么伤害你女儿的杂碎当天就会受到折磨。你这种诚实人的敌人也就是我的敌人。那么他们就会怕你。
Bonasera: Be my friend…Godfather. 当我的朋友?……教父。
Vito Corleone: Good. Some day, and that day may never come, I’ll ask a service of you. But until that day…accept this justice as a gift on my daughter’s wedding day.
很好。他日我或需要你的帮忙,也可能不会有那么一天。但在那一天到来之前收下这份公道做为小女结婚之礼。
Bonasera: Grazie, Godfather. 谢谢,教父。
Vito Corleone: Prego. Give this to Clemenca. I want people that aren’t going to get carried away. We are not murderers, in spite of what this undertaker says.
别客气。这件事交给…克里曼沙。我要用可靠的人,头脑清醒的人。我们不是谋杀犯,下手别太重,虽然那个殡仪馆的人这样说。
Vito Corleone: Where’s Michael? 迈克在哪?
Santino Corleone: Don’t worry, he’ll be here. 别担心,他一会就来。
Vito Corleone: We’re not taking the picture without Michael. 没有迈克我们不照相。
Tom Hagen: What’s the matter? 什么事?
Santino Corleone: It’s Michael. 迈克的事。
Vito Corleone: Don Barzini. 你好,巴西尼阁下。你认得我儿子吧?
Peter Clemenza: Hey, Paulie! Let me have some wine. Paulie, More wine.
保利,让我喝点酒。保利,再来点酒。
Paulie: You look terrific on the floor! 你看起来棒极了!
Peter Clemenza: Are you a dance judge or something? Take a walk and do your job.
你是舞蹈裁判还是什么?闪开吧,到附近晃晃做你的工作。
Santino Corleone: Sandra, do me a favor, watch the kids. Don’t let them run wild.
仙杜拉,帮个忙,别让孩子乱跑,好吗?
Sandra: You watch yourself, all right? 你看好你自己,好吗?
Paulie: 20, 30 grand, in small bills, cash, in that little silk purse. If this were somebody else’s wedding…Sfortunato! (grand:1000美元;1000英镑)